Jumat, 09 Desember 2016

Final Examination EAP 2

Government should encourage more Men to be Nurses




In these times of gender equality, you might think that a profession as high profile as nursing would have a fairly balanced number of men and women. Especially when you consider that male nurses are marginally better paid and proportionally more likely to be in senior posts than their female colleagues. But despite this, the number of men entering the profession has hardly grown in recent years.

According to the most recent NMC figures, only one in ten nurses on the register last year were male, a figure that has remained static for the past four years. Although there has been a rise in men entering the profession in the last few decades, it has been a small, slow one.


While perceptions are beginning to change, some nurses believe that the profession is still seen as a feminine one. Ian Hulatt, an RCN policy adviser and mental health nurse, says: ‘I think public perception is still that it is a female occupation, which sometimes makes it hard for blokes to say: “I’m going into nursing.” In some ways I think the public is still unsure what it wants from nurses – half still think of a nurse as the subject of an erotic fantasy and the other half want to see someone with a stethoscope around their neck.’

Furthermore, there are significant differences between how certain practice areas within the nursing profession are viewed and this is reflected by big differences in the proportion of men working in different sectors. According to workforce figures from the NHS Information Centre, mental health – which has long been regarded as an ‘acceptable’ job for men – is more than a third male. Other areas that attract a lot of men include intensive care, theatre and A&E, which are seen as more ‘macho’ than other areas of the profession.

‘I did the typical male nurse thing and initially gravitated towards critical care and surgery. It was just seen as much more acceptable,’ says Steve Robertson, a post-doctoral research fellow at the University of Central Lancashire, who worked as a general nurse before moving into health visiting and then education. ‘When I’m in the pub and tell people I’m a nurse, they are sceptical but when I tell them I work in intensive care, they think of me slightly differently.’

However, in areas such as health visiting or midwifery, where men make up 1.5% and 0.8% of the respective workforces, men’s career choices may still be questioned – not just by members of the public but also by some members of the profession.

Mr Robertson explains: ‘There does sometimes seem to be an undercurrent among female colleagues as to what is and isn’t appropriate. I suspect most of my health-visiting colleagues were unsure about whether blokes ought to be doing the job. It never came out overtly but covertly I think it was there.’

Even those men going into a supposedly ‘more masculine’ area of the profession admit that their career choice has sometimes raised eyebrows and this can be a barrier that prevents men from entering the profession. 

Brian Owens, who is a staff nurse in a day surgery unit at Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust, left a career in the male-dominated world of banking to train as a nurse. He says: "People did express some doubts, despite my going into the slightly more manly area of surgery. Nursing is still seen, to some degree, as the Florence Nightingale profession and it is still very female-dominated".

He believes this springs partly from the public’s lack of knowledge about what nurses actually do, which could deter younger men who have little experience of being in hospital.

‘The public perception is that a nurse is a runaround and that all you do is wash people. Of course, that is part of the job, but it’s not the only part. Nurses have a good deal of respect and responsibility. Unless they’ve been into hospital and been cared for by a nurse, I don’t think people realise how we actually spend our day.’

Another barrier that may deter some men from entering the profession is the issue of pay. While obviously both men and women face the same low-level starting salary, for men it may be more of a disincentive because, on average, they earn more than women.

Figures from the Office of National Statistics reveal that in April 2007 the median earnings of full-time male employees in the UK was £498 per week compared with £394 for women. The average full-time nurse salary was £436 a week.

Dave Munday, Unite/CPHVA professional officer and a health visitor, says: ‘I think it’s the case that women who go into nursing see themselves earning a better wage than they can in other jobs but men going into nursing would see it as a lower wage. I think pay probably is still an issue to some degree.’

However, male nurses do in fact earn slightly more than their female colleagues and that gap has widened in the last four years, figures from Income Data Services reveal. Men are also more likely to take on senior positions and are disproportionately represented at higher levels. For example, despite making up a tenth of the workforce, 17% of nurse consultants and 18% of nurse managers are male.

However, being male is not always an advantage in a profession and, like any minority group, there are times when they face discrimination. Mr Hulatt, who trained in the 1970s, says: ‘My generation of male nurses were exposed to blatant discrimination. For example, you weren’t allowed to do the maternity or health-visiting placements and if you pressed for
it, there would have been a question over your motive. Today there’s less overt discrimination. There’s equity of opportunity to do midwifery, for example, but there’s
still a covert cultural message that puts a question mark over why males may want to do those things.’

But do we really need more men in nursing? Mr Robertson says not. ‘From the research I don’t think it’s too much of an issue,’ he adds.

Mr Hulatt disagrees. ‘I think it seems appropriate to me that services should reflect the community they serve. We feel that about ethnicity – that we should be able to walk into a hospital and see a reflection of the community’s ethnic mix. Why shouldn’t that apply to gender?’

28 komentar:

  1. Hello Raja..
    Basically all professions are the same, in the sense that everything is equally as necessary and important. Most men prefer to be doctors than nurses, perhaps because now the majority of nurses are women. If the government should encourage more men to be nurses,it is good idea. Thankyou.

    BalasHapus
  2. Komentar ini telah dihapus oleh pengarang.

    BalasHapus
  3. Nice raja :) i agree with ur argument 👍
    U know our presiden "Habibie"? Yeah :)
    He hired male nurses from Aceh to take care of her at a cost of 35 million a month 😱 ,maybe u can join to be male nurse ,Haha .
    because he don't want in the care of female nurses ,it's mean to protect him from zina :)
    So ,I mean i agree if man to be care by male nurses and also the women by female nurses cos we are Islam :) thankyou.:)

    BalasHapus
  4. Nice raja :) i agree with ur argument 👍
    U know our presiden "Habibie"? Yeah :)
    He hired male nurses from Aceh to take care of her at a cost of 35 million a month 😱 ,maybe u can join to be male nurse ,Haha .
    because he don't want in the care of female nurses ,it's mean to protect him from zina :)
    So ,I mean i agree if man to be care by male nurses and also the women by female nurses cos we are Islam :) thankyou.:)

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. i dont know about that, nawal.. that is good information...

      Hapus
  5. Hello radja. I agree with you. But the case is nowadays we found that sooooo many woman became a nurse. Its because of mens' lack interest with this proficiency or they are in nurse university but after graduate they wont to be a nurse. What do you think then ?

    BalasHapus
  6. Komentar ini telah dihapus oleh pengarang.

    BalasHapus
  7. Maybe, men would think that nurse profession are indentically for women. So that, they do not want to be a nurse. But actually, it's good for men to be nurse because, sometimes female nurses do not reach everything without the help of men. Hence, it's good for the government to give more space to men tp be nurse.

    BalasHapus
  8. I strongly agree if all the men nurses like in the picture,haha just kidding. I agree if government should encourage more men to be nurses, but don't too much, as we know in the name of 'over' is not good, just how many is needed.
    Well done. Thanks, Raja!

    BalasHapus
  9. That's right as what widya wrote on her comment that many men prefer to be doctors than nurses, I just curious why, actually being a nurse also cool, right? (like on the pict) haha. I (also) extremely agree if all the men nurses like on the picture, agree with you mul hehehe. good raja and keep writing.

    BalasHapus
  10. Different people have different perseptions. Men prefer to be doctors maybe because doctors have higher position rather nurse. And the assumption of gender quality is not fair here, because I saw may men as nurse nowadays. I met many of them in some biggest hospital and also many man join nursing program at university/health school
    And men with nurse suit are totally awesome

    BalasHapus
  11. i agree with all of you friend.. but know we can look not many men to be a nurse in the hospital. maybe if many men nurse so many people want to come :P :) hehhehehhe
    nice Raja
    keep writing

    BalasHapus
  12. i like if a girl to be a nurse.. because i am not afraid if they check and take care me when i am sick.. good posts :D

    BalasHapus
  13. I dont know clearly about this case. But in my opinion not a bit of men be a nurse.. we can see that in some hospital, many men as a nurse there. And... if women is more than men its because of a number of women is much than men in the world.

    BalasHapus
  14. in my opinion, maybe lack of interest to be a nurse for men that because we can see that many women as a nurse not a man. And maybe they feel prestige to be a nurse and to be doctor better than nurse.

    BalasHapus
  15. I don’t think so. I disagree with your argument. Because In Islam, nursing and teaching is the best profession for women. So, the government should give opportunity to be nurses only for women. The government should not encourage men to be a nurses because there are many professions that more appropriate with men except nursing. For example, the man more suitable to be engineer, entrepreneur, police, and other professions. Therefore. Let the profession of nursing only for women. Thank you.

    BalasHapus
  16. I think many of them wanna be a nurse because their ambision or maybe their parent order them be a nurse. that causes many of nurses we see in the hospital.

    BalasHapus
  17. Komentar ini telah dihapus oleh pengarang.

    BalasHapus
  18. Nice post Radja, I think the job as a nurses are more suitable for women because a nurse took softness to serve patients, in addition to softness also need to be more friendly. thank you.

    BalasHapus
  19. but in my opinion if the patient is a woman, the nurse is also women, if the patient is men, the nurses are also men. this is more comfortable

    BalasHapus
  20. good job raja..
    I personally if government do that things, because the not patient are woman but also men. so if the number of men nurse are sequence to the number of men patient it can be sufficient the need of the men nurse.
    because men patient more comfortable if they treated by men nurse.

    BalasHapus
  21. Komentar ini telah dihapus oleh pengarang.

    BalasHapus
  22. hi rajaa, i think men nurse an important for man patience .
    thanks for sharing

    BalasHapus
  23. Yeah, Radja. I agree with your argument. I think we need much men nurse. Men Patient can more comfortable if they have men nurse.

    BalasHapus
  24. Komentar ini telah dihapus oleh pengarang.

    BalasHapus
  25. I agree many of nurses are male, but in terms of treatment should be limited. If the man patient is sick, man nurses have to take care of them, then if female patient is sick, they should be treated by female nurses.

    BalasHapus
  26. I want girl. Because girls more pattient. And actually girl more use feeling but man not. And i fell more confortable if woman whi check me.

    BalasHapus